FESTUNG (Finite Element Simulation Toolbox for UNstructured Grids)
FESTUNG – A MATLAB / GNU Octave toolbox for the discontinuous Galerkin method
FESTUNG is an Open Source toolbox for the discontinuous Galerkin method on unstructured grids, written in Matlab / GNU Octave. It is primarily intended as a fast and flexible prototyping platform and testbed for students and developers. It relies on fully vectorized matrix/vector operations to deliver optimized computational performance combined with a compact, user-friendly interface and a comprehensive documentation.
A selection of the current set of features of FESTUNG includes
- Generic problem description and coupling framework.
- Unstructured 1D and 2D (triangular, trapezoidal) meshes.
- (L)DG/HDG discretizations up to fourth order (with hierarchichal polynomial basis functions).
- explicit SSP Runge-Kutta (up to 3rd order) and implicit DIRK scheme (up to 4th order) time discretization.
- High-order hierarchical vertex-based slope limiters.
- Fully vectorized assembly.
- VTK– and Tecplot-compatible output.
- Advection– and diffusion-type operators readily available.
Source code repository
Up-to-date versions of FESTUNG are available in our public Github repository.
Preprints and Publications
A detailed and continuosly updated documentation of all routines can be found under www1.am.uni-erlangen.de/FESTUNG.
Publications describing FESTUNG or showing its application are listed below:
- A preprint of the first paper, describing an older code version, is available from arXiv and we provide the codes described there as a gzip-archive.
- Our first paper FESTUNG: A MATLAB/GNU Octave toolbox for the discontinuous Galerkin method, Part I: Diffusion operator describes the basic data structures and discretization techniques.
The code corresponds to version 0.1 of FESTUNG.
- Our second paper FESTUNG: A MATLAB/GNU Octave toolbox for the discontinuous Galerkin method, Part II: Advection operator and Slope Limiting describes the discretization of a hyperbolic operator and slope limiting techniques.
The code corresponds to version 0.2 of FESTUNG.
A preprint of the paper, describing code version 0.2-beta.1, is available on arXiv.
- Our third paper “FESTUNG: A MATLAB/GNU Octave toolbox for the discontinuous Galerkin method, Part III: Hybridized discontinuous Galerkin (HDG) formulation” (submitted to CAMWA).
A preprint of the paper, describing code version 0.3-beta.1, is available on arXiv.
- A poster at SIAM Geosciences 2017 outlining the features and concepts of FESTUNG.